I love Competitions. There I said it, I am a (not so secret) Comper!
The reason I love comping is because I love free stuff. Whether it be a trip to Australia or a packet of crisps, (yes I’ve won both). How can it not make you happy to receive something for free. I find people have an enormous amount of scepticism regarding competitions. People often say to me, ‘no one ever wins’, ‘I never win anything’, and my personal favourite, ‘no one gives anything away for free’!
Actually companies are falling over themselves to give goods and services away for free for one simple reason. It’s a great way to promote themselves. For example; A pair of tickets to a festival actually costs nothing except the paper it is printed on, but if 10,000 people enter a competition to win them. That is 10,000 people ‘reached’ in advertising terms. A company could pay hundreds of pounds for a magazine advert. But these days with the advent of social media, a competition on Facebook or twitter could have the same reach, and the campaign would cost them nothing.
Over the years I have featured in many publications due to my ‘winning ways’. It really is a great hobby and these have been some of my favourite prizes;
- A trip to visit the Jim Beam Factory in Louisville, Kentucky, USA – courtesy of Jim Beam
- Walking up the Red Carpet in Leicester Square, London for the Premiere of Pirates of The Caribbean – courtesy of MTV
- Flying first class to Snowboard in Val D’isere with full skiwear & equipment provided – courtesy of Lastminute.com
- Partying VIP style with 7 friends (and lots of champagne)! on New Years Eve in London – courtesy of Kiss.FM
- Travelling first class on Eurostar to stay in a French Chateau, with Michelin starred dining – courtesy of The Sunday Times
- A weeks Cookery Course at the Prue Leith School in London, (with 5* hotel accommodation just off Kensington High St. thrown in) – courtesy of The Butter Board
These are just some wins I especially enjoyed. I have won countless event and theatre tickets, hotel stays, TVs, vouchers, anything and everything from Shower Gel to a tent. As I write I’m pondering over the strangest thing I have ever won…….. I think that has to be having my image made into a ghost to star in a computer game! That’s what I love about competitions – the chance to do things a ‘normal’ person would not get to do.
Isn’t comping great?! Yes, I thought I might have changed your mind. This tends to happen when I talk about my wins. I tell people about it and then they get all excited, they start entering competitions, they don’t win anything by day 2, then they stop comping and declare ‘no one ever wins’, ‘I never win anything’, and my personal favourite, ‘no one gives anything away for free’!
There are lots of interesting things to know when you first start out comping and I will be blogging about them, as well as my personal winning experiences. Click on the category ‘Competitions’ to find out more!